The Holy Cross difference
At Holy Cross Primary we have a commitment to teaching students to think critically and approach tasks purposefully. Our students develop confidence and are encouraged to develop creativity and foster an enjoyment of learning.
We also offer:
- a welcoming Parish community (St John XXIII)
- the opportunity to develop spiritually, academically and socially
- an innovative curriculum
- modern and spacious facilities
- Before and After School Care and Vacation Care
Facilities that promote learning for the 21st century
Holy Cross Primary is a modern school with fully air-conditioned learning spaces that promote 21st century learning.
Interactive whiteboards have been installed throughout the classrooms, and the learning spaces support digital learning, with laptop and desktop computers (both Mac and PC) integrated into all learning areas. Students have supervised internet access aimed at enhancing their learning opportunities.
Learning is also facilitated through:
- wireless technology
- a well-resourced library that integrates learning throughout the school
- the latest technology (iPads, MacBooks and interactive whiteboards)
- grade websites for student learning and homework. The websites have parent access, enabling closer partnership between home and school.
- modern and spacious facilities
- generous playgrounds with large grassed playing areas and shade-covered paved areas
- a large covered outside learning area
Our Learning Spaces
The learning spaces at Holy Cross reflect our commitment to the multiple intelligences and co-operative learning. There are displays of student work with annotations by both students and teachers, reflecting the students’ learning and celebrating their efforts.
A tour of our learning spaces shows students:
- working in small groups taking on different roles e.g. reporter, scribe, coach, gopher, artist
- actively engaged in discussions, problem-solving activities, games, experimenting and testing theories, using technology and using a wide range of resources
- working together on a single product
- working in the different areas of intelligence
- engaging with technology
- working independently, with a partner, and as part of a larger group depending on the activity that is being engaged in
Within all learning spaces teachers can be seen:
- working together in shared learning spaces
- facilitating and monitoring general group activities
- explicitly modelling and teaching skills to a small group
- planning the next learning experience for students
Within all learning spaces other adults, including parents can be seen:
- facilitating student learning by supervising small groups
- participating in student learning opportunities
- sharing their expert skills as artisans, musicians, storytellers, athletes
Within our learning spaces students and teachers can be heard:
- using the language of co-operative learning, in particular, the KISSES model and School Agreements
- communicating their learning through questioning, justifying and clarifying
- celebrating and encouraging each other in their learning and achievements
- reflecting on and processing their work and the way they work
Before and After School Care
Catholic Out of School Hours Care (COSHC) at Holy Cross Primary School is one of many services available at selected schools in the Diocese of Parramatta offering before and after school care during school terms.
Various activities are available for the children at our centres ranging from craft, games, puzzles, cooking, dramatic play, construction and outdoor play.